Okay, here you have two options: 1) you can use a can of beans from your 3 month food storage (a great way to store and eat beans) I had a roommate in college that taught me you can always dress up a can of baked beans by adding 1-2 T of bbq sauce to them. Try it, it makes a world of a difference. 2) if you have a large group coming, it becomes cheaper and easier to make your own from your dried beans in your food storage. Plus, it’s a great way to use those dry beans you’re storing! I’ll be sharing a couple of baked bean recipes but this is the one I used for the picture above.
|Food Storage Baked Beans:||
- 1 lb. dried white beans
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped (You know I’m going to say used your dehydrated onions!)
- 2 T. yellow mustard
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. molasses
- 1 C. bbq sauce
- Follow the instructions on your can of white beans to get them cooked in just a couple of hours. Save 2 cups of the water you used to cook your beans.
- Once they are cooked place in a 9×13 pan and combine the beans, onion, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, bbq sauce, bacon, and 1 C. cooking liquid.
- Cover and bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until the beans have reached the desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- You may need to add some more of the water you saved if you think it is too thick.
- (I baked mine in the morning and re-heated when we got home.)