Pumpkin is a great for whole wheat recipes….and tummies. And since this is the season for pumpkin, I figured it would be a great time to mix it with some food storage. Why is pumpkin so great for food storage and whole wheat recipes? Well, it’s simple really: The five ingredients that make for great whole wheat recipes are
- vegetable or fruit puree (like pumpkin, banana, zucchini)
- strong spices (like cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice)
- chocolate (lets be honest, everything tastes a little better with some chocolate)
- oats and/or nuts(lends itself very well to the taste of whole wheat)
- equal amounts of brown sugar and white sugar
PUMPKIN CARAMEL ROLLS
|Food Storage Pumpkin Caramel Rolls||
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tblsp yeast
- 1/2 cup oil (I used 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs (2 T. dry egg powder and NO WATER)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 – 5 1/2 cups flour (Use at least 1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 melted or softened butter, to spread on the dough
- 2 Tblsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
- Caramel Topping:
- Make this while Cinnamon Rolls are resting or baking.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 packed Brown Sugar
- 3 Tblsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered Sugar
- pinch of salt
- Mix sugar, yeast, oil, water and pumpkin. Let stand 15 minutes while getting your other ingredients Add eggs, salt, cloves, cinnamon, flour and knead 5 minutes. (Dough maybe sticky make sure you don’t add too much flour, a good test is to dip your fingers in flour and touch the dough. If it sticks you need more flour, if it doesn’t then it is good. Make sure you spray your hands and countertop with a non-stick spray when you are getting the dough out of your bowl)
- Roll to rectangle 1/4″ thick
- Spread butter on dough
- Combine cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle on top of butter
- Roll up the cinnamon rolls and cut in 1″ thick slices with string or knife.
- Place on greased (I use reynolds quick release foil or parchment and don’t grease the pan or have any clean up) cookie sheet and let rest 15 minutes, or more.
- Bake 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make your Caramel Topping by melting the butter in a saucepan. Stir in Brown sugar plus milk and cook on low for 1 minute. Cool slightly (just so it is not HOT) and add vanilla, sugar, and salt. Stir with Wisk until well blended. Drizzle/spread rolls with frosting when they come out of the oven.
- Frost, and eat warm. Rolls may be re-warmed in the microwave for 10 seconds.
If you want to make the dough entirely whole wheat, simply replace the white sugar with brown sugar and add in 1/4 C. gluten to the dough.
WANT MORE FOOD STORAGE PUMPKIN RECIPES?
Low-Fat Pumpkin Brownies
Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Pie
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Fall Harvest Alfredo
Out of this World Pumpkin Cookies
Blender Pumpkin Waffles with Caramel Syrup
Impossible Blender Pumpkin Pie
Classic Pumpkin Pie
SHARE WITH US!
Which recipe are you planning on doing with your friends? Let us all know over at my facebook page! or send an email to efsshowoffs(at)gmail(dot)com