FEBRUARY IS “LET THEM EAT (FOOD STORAGE) CAKE!” MONTH!
Alright, February is in high swing with wonderful food storage filled cakes! They don’t use cake mixes, but are just as easy to make. The recipes are packed with flavor (just look at the Chocolate Molten Lava Cake if you’re wondering) as well as fiber and protein-which of course, means the calories have been C-U-T! Who doesn’t love a piece of cake that tastes great, has half the calories, and leaves you feeling satisfied and full! So what is my next awesome recipe? Well I’ll tell you…
WHOLE WHEAT BANANA DREAM CAKE
Oh, man-this cake was so good, I was honestly surprised because I can remember not really liking banana cake as a child and I didn’t know if I’d like this one. It was in one word-incredible! It’s entirely chalk full of fiber with whole wheat, oats, nuts, and beans but you’d never know it by the wonderful taste and texture.
- ½ C. Butter (or beans)
- 1 C. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs (2 T. dry egg powder + ¼ C. water)
- 1¼ C. flour (I used whole wheat)
- ¾ t. baking soda
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ¾ C. oatmeal
- ⅓ C. butter milk (1 T. dry non-instant milk powder or 2 T. dry instant milk powder + ⅓ C. water + 1 t. vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 C. mashed bananas (about 3)
- whole pecans
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Beat well. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk mix well. Blend oats bananas and nuts and add to batter. Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
If you’re confused why I’m saying to use beans in place of butter get my instructions for successfully using beans for butter and/or oil.
Help Spread the Word!
I love it when you share my tips and recipes for food storage! Do me a quick favor, if you like what you see please share it on facebook, pinterest, or blog about it! And make sure you link either the word “food storage” or “Everyday Food Storage” back to me. Thanks-it makes all the hard work worth it!