I don’t know if any of you have tried store bought macaroons….but…..blech! I don’t know why it surprised me that they would actually taste leaps and bounds better than anything I had from the store…but they are SO MUCH BETTER! I couldn’t believe how easy they were to make, how few ingredients it actually called for, and how mine were the only macaroons on the table tonight at the activity I brought them to. (Plus, I’m pretty sure no one knew I snuck in food storage…but that is our secret!)
FOOD STORAGE MACAROONS
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk made from powder milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla using your hands until well blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about golf ball size.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over top and top with Christmas sprinkles