So many of you know that last Summer I’m dedicated myself to learning how to use my Sun Oven. I’ll be sharing with you every detail I learned along the way-in a more journal entry sort of way. So…here it goes…
Sun Oven Cooking Day One: “Boiling” Eggs
Well I figured I would start easy. After all, Paul Munsen described “boiling” eggs so easy-just throw (gently) the eggs in a pre-heated oven and let them cook for 30-35 minutes. So, that’s what I did. I pre-heated the oven in a sunny spot and put six eggs in an egg carton and walked away for 30-35 minutes. WHOOPS! Well, when I went back to pull the eggs out the Sun Oven was in the shade (thanks to the house’s shadow). The eggs still spun like boiled eggs but when I cracked it open, the top was soft boiled and the bottom was hard boiled. So unless you like slime eggs- it wasn’t like how I pictured or like to eat my eggs. HOWEVER, don’t forget that I didn’t notice that my sun oven went into the shade which was a big part of the problem.
- Put your Sun Oven in a place where it ALWAYS gets sun then you don’t have to worry about it going in the shade. Find the place at your house that ALWAYS has sun. Let’s say it together one more time…find the place that ALWAYS has sun!
- Start with just one egg or little amounts until you know how everything works.
So then I put the Sun Oven where the sun ALWAYS is and tried putting an egg timer and an egg in the Sun Oven to see if that would help me know when the eggs are done. After only about 10-15 minutes the egg timer showed the it was done. So I brought the egg in and I broke it open-thankfully over the sink. It was NOT done! After thinking about it more, my egg timer was dark and probably absorbed more of the heat from the sun. So now, that idea is out.
- Egg timers don’t work.
So this may be embarrassing to admit it took me three times-but we’re all friends right? So this time, I just listened to what Paul said….30-35 minutes in a preheated oven. And…IT WORKED!!
- It’s okay to experiment-everything gives results and now we know a lot of things. If you want to learn more…keep following me this summer!
- It always helps to actually follow the directions! 😉
WANT TO LEARN MORE? TAKE THE SUN OVEN CLASS OR READ MY POSTS ABOUT THE SUN OVEN!
- How to use a Sun Oven Class: Part One
- How to use a Sun Oven Class: Parts 2 and 3
- How to use a Sun Oven Class: Part Four
- How to use a Sun Oven Class: Parts Five and Six
- How to use a Sun Oven Class: parts 7-9
- How to Use a Sun Oven Class: Part TEN
- How to Use a Sun Oven Class Questions
- Sun Oven Chronicles: “Boiling” Eggs
- Sun Oven Chronicles: BREAD!
- Sun Oven Chronicles: FREEZER PIZZA